Language teaching (with teachers) was the initial focus of the previous application design. A shift in focus from teaching to learning now meant that learners would learn from other learners. Knowing that, the key goal was to easily connect people for the purpose of cultural exchanges - knowing that such exchanges would happen when a language of practice is chosen which would naturally lead to language learning and practice.
The design intent centered around streamlining the entire call connection process between language learners - to simplify the entire conversation flow and thereby making the application stand out and not feel like other apps.
I designed an interface that focuses on the user's main actions, that is to:
- Go online to accept or make calls
- Choose a language before engaging in a call
- Press the call button to get the magic started.
My work includes the Logo, Android App Button, all the interactions, visual designs and content copy.
- The interface invites the users to setup their calling profile and connect quickly.
- User will not be required to enter a real name, or even an email and if he/she decides to do so. As a result, users weary of sharing their information will have on less hurdle to complete before engaging in a conversation.
- Development of the application is under way and a testing version should be available in late July.
Conversi is a new way of looking at language practice – with no names, no searching for partners and a simplified take at how connecting learners can be streamlined.
We bring to the world an open cultural learning environment where a chosen language will provide the means of communication practice.
- A mobile application for Android users.
- A VOIP solution to enable direct and anonymous calls between learners.
- Call recording to capture conversations for extended language practice.
- Designed in Figma.
January 20th, 2018
- When setting up to engage in calls, users don't have to put a real name but a name is still required
- Users get to choose 3 languages
- Users can scroll down for more language options
- The menu displays a screen that hosts key sections.
- Conversations - including recorded ones will be accessible here via the conversation history button.
- Inviting friends will be done via a sharing the app in other social networking apps. Emails will not be used.
- The Setup is the 'settings' screen above where users get to change their languages
- The FAQ section displays relevant frequently asked questions.
- Recorded conversations - although not in the initial launch version are beginning to be designed.
- The section will not only host the call history but will also allow for conversation playback.
- It is quite likely that a search feature will be added here and that written feedback from other listeners will also be made available for increase user interactions.
- Content helps to engage and promote conversations. This is a content card to promote questioning and open reflection during conversations.
- Such content will be released on a weekly basis for all to read and in different languages.